Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

It's an honor

I've had a lot of thoughts about diabetes this week, but not a lot of time to be jotting them down.

The grandparents have finally gotten out of their house, with 100% of their items removed from the home. They were supposed to be out on November 20. I think the actual final 'out' date was December 3 or 4. We drove up to pick up a large tool that Grandpa wanted to give to Dr. Parts, but no, we needed to pick up some junk from the yard and drive it to the local dump. A nice little errand turned into 4 sweaty, smelly hours.

I've been nominated for an award in the Diabetes OC's 2nd Annual Diabetes OC Blog Awards. I'm nominated in the category Best Adult with Type 2 Blog. It's an honor to be nominated, with my odd, irregular little blog and my less-than-apt technical skills. Thank you for the nominations. Please vote for me. Please, please please!

Or vote for someone else. I do read all (well, most) of the other nominees in this category on as regular a basis as I do most anything. Go to the link above and, when you're ready, click on the VOTE link.

I'd love for there to be so many Type 2 diabetes blogs that such an effort as mine would not be worth the mention. As an example, I may offer my knitting blog. There are so many interesting and talented knitters that my knitting blog does not stand out. That, and the fact that my photography is awful.

But knitting blogs require photography. With knitting, one must show one's work, one's yarn, one's projects. What is there to photograph or show about my diabetes? Would you like to see a copy of my medical bills? A copy of my lab reports with HbA1c numbers? A picture of my dinner?

I was a little distressed again at the projection that, worldwide, we will be part of a diabetes community of roughly 380 million people by the year 2025. That's awful.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:50 PM, Blogger If not a mother... said…

    You haven't seen the OC's flickr community? oh my...

    (But we could use some type 2 presence there, too...)

    Congrats!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)