Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Vacation update.


Dr. Parts and I were on vacation last week (Nov 4-10). We rode the train south to Klamath Falls and the Running Y Ranch. Spent some time with my Mom and her husband, and with my brother and his lovely wife. What fun. Saw some beautiful scenery at the National Lava Beds Monument. It was astounding.

Dr. Parts was on a short course of steroids, for his sinus trouble, which pushed his BG up 30-50 points. Geeze, I'm nervous enough about his BG level and all those AGEs he's making, without this. Dr. M put him on this without any adjustment to his diabetes meds. Dr. Parts goes in for a head x-ray tomorrow. I hope they find some sort of solution for him. This chronic sinusitis, with neuralgia, is no picnic. Between his head and my feet, we have more narcotics in the house than ever.

We both had the flu in the last month. I was recovering during our vacation week. I forgot my "pool shoes" and so, skipped the multiple opportunities to do water aerobics in the ranch pool. (Great facilities!) My BG was up a little (20-30 points), although my appetite was zero. I missed my beautiful scale during the vacation (yes, I weigh obsessively), and was pleased to find out on my return that I lost two pounds. So, now, I face a choice: do I sabotage the weight loss by pigging out? Or do I continue on the course of good health, good nutrition, and good portion sizes? Stay tuned!
Foot pain goes up and down in intensity. I may need to shop for new (sturdy, ugly) shoes. My mom didn't say a word about her diabetes. The breakfasts were excessive, but we didn't have cookies or cakes around to tempt us.
I think my SIL doesn't care for artificially sweetened beverages. She has a point. They are not particularly healthy. But I think she and Bro brought several beverages to meet their needs also. I am very blessed in my family.
But, the grandparents, Mom's parents, are still not 100% moved out of their home and into the retirement community. Stressful? Perhaps. This weekend, Nana was hospitalized overnight with chest pain that did not resolve with nitro. No heart attack, they say. But they do seem concerned that she may have some development related to her heart. Grandpa believes he's developing pleurisy, in the form of pains across his back. But will he stop and go to the doctor? Oh, no. Too much to do, mind you.

I come from a long line of stubborn persons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)