Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Christmas Summary

A lovely Christmas. We even managed to eat some vegetables.

Our holiday was kid-free, which makes for a very laid-back and relaxed time. One parent was away, the other lives far away, and my sibling was sick. No gatherings for us.

Dr. Parts got the mutual Christmas present of this beautiful television set up in our living room. It looks great, and us old folks can read much more of the words they put on the screens.

My foot pain is back, and with a vengeance. I'm entertaining the theory that it actually is nerve pain, rather than the sesamoiditis. That would make it diabetes related, even though I obviously have great circulation and no evident tissue damage. I talked with a senior person recently, though, who blames her current foot trouble on a years-ago bunionectomy gone wrong. Surgery sounds good-if it could reduce the pain-but what if it just produces more pain, or a more complicated problem?

My numbers continue good, usually under 100 in the mornings.

I'm thinking about making a plan for good exercise habits in 2007. I'm considering this whole body vibration thing, since Soloflex is a nice local company, and they have a WBV platform at a reasonable price ($395). But is it just another gimmick? Or would it really give me an opportunity to continue with some level of fitness without having to stand on my own two painful feet?

I'm still thinking about it all.

I'm thinking about dietary choices. I'm thinking about vegetarianism/veganism as a healthy basis for a diet for a type 2 diabetic. PCRM has a great series of educational classes about diabetes, diet, and treating type 2 diabetes with a very low fat vegan diet. This link will take you there. It's good stuff, and, my experience has been, when I follow this diet, either by following Dr. John McDougall's program or any other verylowfat, high fiber, lowprocessedfoods, vegan diet plan, my diabetes numbers behave most politely.

And it's not as hard or as wierd as one might think. It requires thinking creatively, especially if you're new to considering non-meat-centered meals. But our disease requires thinking creatively, and reordering our lives, and our meals. One benefit of a very low fat vegan diet, for diabetics, is that most of us can eat without portion control! Eat until you're full? When did you last hear that in a diabetes education class?

Will this be the year for us to commit to this dietary change? Or will it take something more serious for us to be truly motivated to reclaim our health through our eating?

I'm still thinking about it all.

Keep on keeping on, friends. I hope you're thinking about what you want the new year to look like in your life. Or perhaps, what you want your life to look like in the new year.

Is it time for me to take another percoset yet?

1 Comments:

  • At 4:48 AM, Blogger If not a mother... said…

    Jan 1, I'm definitely going back to low dairy consumption along with lower carb consumption. Those ARE the keys to good blood sugars and cholesterol for me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)