Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Beautiful Foot of a Diabetic

Here are the feet that hurt.

Friday they got a bone scan. I don't think the faint raidoactivity is visible in this image, however.

Friday evening they got acupuncture and some incense type treatment, of which I have already forgotten the name. (Moxie? Magji? Something like that. Starts with 'm' and ends with 'ee'.)

By that time, they had taken me through the week of snow, and I figured they deserved a treat.

Saturday morning they got a pedicure and a paraffin treatment. Very nice. Thank you, Marion, for the spa treatment and for saying I have beautiful feet.

Saturday afternoon, Dr. Parts and I looked at a new car for them. Automatic transmission, just in case they get to have surgery. If one is considering foot surgery, for both feet, best not to have a vehicle requiring two good feet for safe driving.

Although I will admit, I have looked into hand controls, thanks to my friend who uses them on his vehicle every day. They're not too expensive, I must say.

When I say "new car" what I mean is "less ancient than the current car". Current car =1992 gas guzzler. New car = 2002 diesel compact. We haven't signed on the dotted line yet, still some details to be worked out, but I'm pretty excited about it.

The car deal will be delayed a day or two because of my visit to my IM doctor. I should have been testing more, to have more numbers to show her. My HbA1c will probably be up (from 5.8 and 5.9) but probably not above 6.5. Also, I have a dental cleaning early in the week.

I've gotta pay up for Allison's OCNew Me Challenge. I feel wussy when Scott has bet himself $100, and I've only bet $10. I blame my pentecostal background. My grandmother would not approve of gambling, even if it is with Allison, and with myself, and with good health as the outcome.

I've promised Allison photos. Sigh.

Since I've posted here about the weight loss, I have to confess. Since Christmas, I've done nothing but gain. Ugh. As of this morning, I was at 177. I wanted to remain at around 170 for the year, and really, LOSE down to 160 for the end of 2007. Not a good direction to start. Alas.

But I must remain in good self-talk (sorry for the psychobabble) and remember that my weight is not a good measure of my worth. And, my weight is only one measure of my health. I'd like my weight to be lower, and there are things I can do to make it lower. Regardless of what number my scale shows, I am still worthwhile. I am still lovable and capable and deserving of good health.

That being said, my feet will look really good in my new car if they're only carrying around 160 lbs of Lori. And I can get them manicured to match the paint, too!

4 Comments:

  • At 12:55 AM, Blogger Chrissie in Belgium said…

    Lori - life is SO unfair. I wish you did not have such feet problems. I feel guilty NOT having feet problems.... What, is it all just fate? I have NOT been a perfect D person all my 45 years with it as my companion. Your feet look so pretty - no one would know they give you such trouble. Give yourself and your dog a hug from me.

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Oh, it sucks about the foot pain. Foot pain is like back pain is like mouth pain, you never realize how important and all encompassing it is until it is in pain. Hang in there and congrats on the new-er car!

     
  • At 6:03 AM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said…

    Lori, the "incense" treatment you had was "moxibustion" where a stick of smoldering herbs is held close to the skin to stimulate the acupuncture points without needles. It was be very effective in certain cases - hope you got some relief.

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Hey Lori,

    Not wussy at all - we all do what we can, or feel comfortable with.

    Focus on progress, not perfection!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)