Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Ceviche


It must be summertime. Dr. Parts is making ceviche!
The fish & scallops is in the bowl at 10 o'clock. The cantaloupe, tomato, and mango is in the bowl at 2 o'clock. And my dinner portion is in the bowl at 6 o'clock. Yum!
I have been testing in the mornings. I had a reading of 87, and then the next day it was 102. All over the map.
The foot pain has been good. I think the Lyrica is helping immensely. It could also be the increased dose of Effexor. I'm up to 225 mg per day. I got to wear my cute shoes a few days this week, without excruciating consequences.
I had my first session with Dr. D, who is the pain psychologist assigned to me through the OHSU Comprehensive Pain Clinic. Well, this is the first treatment session, after my intake session, where I kinda collapsed. Much crying. He had some excellent insights for me and assignments. OHSU CPC made a CD for guided imagery and reaching the relaxation response state. My assignment is to do this 20 minute exercise each day. I also have a copy of the book Managing Pain Before It Manages You by Margaret Caudill. I have certain chapters to work through in that book. I do recommend that book highly.
So, all in all, it's been a good week.
Dr. Parts got his latest HbA1c, which was 8.7. He had to have his thyroid medication adjusted, and he's hoping that his energy level will increase. His doc sent him home with samples of Januvia, but not with instructions to take it.
When, oh lord, when?

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 5:17 AM, Blogger If not a mother... said…

    Yum, ceviche.

    I don't know if I'd call 87-102 "all over the map". In any given month, I'm anywhere below 120 on any given morning. Sometimes right around 120, sometimes 100.

     
  • At 7:57 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Hey Lori!

    87 mg/dl & 102 mg/dl are pretty close in the big picture. Both are very, very good BG's in my book.

    Sounds like Dr. D. has some good assignments for you - I hope that you find them helpful.

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said…

    I love mangos. They are my favorite exotic fruit. I keep trying to get the seed to sprout but it either shriels up to nothing or else gets a coat of white fuzzy mold. I need to crack the code for mango cultivation.

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger Lori Rode said…

    Minnesota, I'm not sure if the mango is one of those seeds that requires special circumstances to germinate (bird pre-digestion? special sandiness or a certain ph level?)

    Rachel & Scott, nothing like a little perfectionism to improve life with a chronic illness, huh??

     
  • At 11:50 PM, Blogger George said…

    Ceviche! You can totally adopt me if I can have some.

    FYI - My grandmother stuck a Mango seed into the garden of her home in Downtown Los Angeles and a tree grew that produced some awesome Mango!

    Mango's are like people, All they need is love!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)