Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Bad night = Bad morning

I've been having some trouble sleeping lately. I've been staying up late, watching stupid TV, and eating bad things while I stay up late. I've been going to bed between midnight and one am, for most of the past two weeks or so.

Well, I'm not eating horrible things. They're Kashi granola bars. Sweet, but high in fiber. It's not like it's chocolate cake.

But, this morning my am fasting BG reading was 170. OOOOoooo-weeeeee!

The day before, the reading was 102.

My weight's been up this year, regained about 15 lbs (which was about what I had lost in 2006), so I am being careful, and watching the numbers -weight numbers- creep down.

So, again, back to basics.

(Again. How many times in our lives do we need to return to these lessons? For me, apparently, at least once more.)

What has worked for me in the past, regarding weight and health?

1. Record keeping, posted boldly, where I can see it daily.

2. Daily weigh ins. (not weekly, not monthly)

3. Pre-planning to have good food choices available to me. (As opposed to the chocolate muffins and egg-salad sandwiches from the vending machines and the breakfast burrito from the catering truck that visits us at work.) Meal replacement bars work well for me. I've tried Glucerna, which is targeted for diabetes, and Slim-fast bars.

Foot pain update...It's been a pretty good week. I find myself walking more at work. I did not cringe when I had to make photocopies of several complicated files, which requires standing for 10-20 minutes.

Pain Meds: We're decreasing the nortriptylene and increasing the Lyrica. I hope it doesn't increase my insomnia symptoms. I also bought more of the lipoic acid and bought a multi-vitamin with a great B-complex spread. Although I have stronger meds (percoset and oxycodone) I haven't taken one in the past two weeks.

Medical appointments: DIDN'T HAVE ANY PAIN RELATED MEDICAL APPOINTMENTS THIS WEEK! Well, except for the acupunturist, and I've been doing that weekly since the first of the year, it feels very normal. This week my treatment with my fabulous acupunturist was not very painful at all. It was as if the pain tide was out. Niiiiiice.

So, next week I gt to start with the psych pain appointments and the neurological tests (EMG). I am going to be pissed if they don't find something. In other words, we've been attacking this foot pain issue with a full-court-press since January. If some treatment that we've found (the acupuncture or meds or supplements) has been effective at correcting the problem, leaving nothing for the neurologist to diagnose, then I may lose a good chance at understanding the genesis of the foot problem.

We have to take our best shot in life, and work with the information that we have. That's all I can do here.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger Zazzy said…

    One of the many things I hate about insomnia is that I keep grazing. I can't sleep, I have to get up and move around, I end up in the kitchen. We need to form a club with all the people sleeping badly and play cards in the middle of the night or something.

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    I don't do well when I'm not sleeping good either. Seems like it lessens my resolve to make good decisions when I'm tired.

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger kath said…

    I'm in the same boat too, as in not being able to sleep -- I'm planning to blog on it.

    Good luck on the feet being better -- that will help your sleep too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)