Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Learning from history

Since diabetes is an ancient illness, it occurs to me that perhaps, it would be wise for the modern PWD to learn from the good practices of the many diabetics who have gone before her.

Thusly, I have prepared a small sample of what Scott optimistically calls my meal plan, or perhaps lack-of-planning would be more accurate in this particular illustration.

Sunday night dinner (Easter, as you recall, a traditional feast day):
French Toast, prepared a la waffler. Yum, yum. With peanut butter and margarine, and (real sugar) berry syrup and (non-sugared) maple-style syrup. Oh. And one fried egg. I ate five pieces.

Lunch, in case you were wondering, was with our friends over at Russell Street BBQ. God bless Sharon and Diane. And, let me state, that we do consider beef and pork barbeque to be an excellent celebratory meal. We did decline dessert. I must confess, though, to an intimate familiarity with the dessert menu offerings. My favorite? The fried pies, filled with chocolate ganache.

Monday morning reading: 192

Monday activity: Sincere repentence.

Monday night dinner: Homemade salsa & corn chips and minestrone soup. Corn chips, under most circumstances, send my readings sky high. I do my best to resist the evil ones (fried) and choose only the half-evil ones (baked). Couldn't find them on Monday.

Tuesday morning reading: 117

Perhaps I should visit Scott's nutritionist.

I'm back to OHSU tomorrow, for a visit to the pain psychologist and to the MRI lab. This should be interesting.

I'm not trying to fall off the wagon. I currently weigh 185 lbs, when I started the year at 170 or so. I'm very out-of-control with my eating, very worried and anxious. Time to reign in, reassess. Or, as Scarlett says, "Tomorra is another day."

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 10:10 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Tomorra IS another day - we can always make things better.

    And recognizing where you are is a big part of it.

    It is so hard though - but keep kicking! We can't give up!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)