Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Numb Toes make for good books

Here's a shameless plug for the Numb Toes series of books by John A. Senneff on the timely topic of peripheral neuropathy. I'm only to page 57, and I'm loving it! ( Of course, the esteemed and pioneering David Mendoza has discovered them some time ago.)

These are sensible, specific, and direct. The books use enough technical language accompanied by enough explanation that I, with my high-school biology remnants tucked away in my brain, can understand it. And I may be able to talk to my physicians rationally. If only I had found these books last summer!

But I cannot dwell on what might have been. I must deal with what is.

I have an EMG study scheduled at the big medical school hospital in June. The descriptions I've read of EMG tests make them sound very similar to acupuncture. What fun! I hope I don't get a student.

The online description of the Mr. Big Neurologist, who I finally see in late July, does not mention peripheral neuropathy. Instead it mentions ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease or Amyotropic Lateral Sclerosis-and I typed that all by myself without looking it up. Hope you're impressed.) which is the disease that took Dr. Parts' mom, Karen. I'm sure he knows what he's doing. But the coincidence, that he was likely involved in making her diagnosis or in her treatment plan, and that I'm now referred to him, makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

And having seen ALS and Diabetes Mellitus both close up, I'd still choose Diabetes Mellitus, even with Peripheral Neuropathy.

I feel pretty angry that neither my podiatrist, nor my internist raised the possibility of neuropathy when I presented with kinda classic symptoms: bilateral (or symmetrical) pain and pain that was worse in the evening or overnight and interfered with sleeping. Were they just being optimistic when they steered me towards finding a solvable mechanical problem with my foot? I don't know.

I don't like going to so many medical appointments, and neither does my employer. I'm having a fairly good week, pain wise. I'm a little concerned about how much money my medical care is costing our family this year, but this will all work out, I'm sure. Not treating my pain is not a good choice, and worrying about the cost of treating my pain is not useful. I'm worth it.

Thanks for letting me vent. I love being able to blog here, although I will admit to being somewhat self-editing, due to the fact that both of my parents do read the stuff I write here.

I know, in a perfect world, since we're all adults now, I could say ANYTHING to my parents and it would be okay. But I'm not perfect. They love me, and I love them. We're not too angry with each other. I like that. I'd like to keep it that way. And I'm sure they understand.

I love you guys. All of you.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 6:21 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    We love you too LR!

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said…

    Oh man, Lori.
    All of the drs are so slotted into their own little groove that nobody seems to consider the whole person anymore.
    When I went to the podiatrist because of arch pain, he took out a scalpel and begin hacking away at a small callous on my foot. I suggested that maybe he should go a bit slower because I had db, and he stopped cold. What a buffoon.
    He did nothing to test the nerve function of my feet or to discuss diabetic foot care. I was expecting an in-depth exam, but not so. This guy was definitely looking for mechanical problems of the foot, and, of course, there is a place for that.
    You are an intelligent consumer and will get your needs met. It seems unfair that we have to work so hard to do this.

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger Kerri. said…

    Echoing both Scott and MN -

    1. We love you, too. :)
    2. Being an educated comsumer is the best defense sometimes. It is bizarre that we are oftentimes educating the doctors, but we need to keep at it - the rewards are worth it!
    3. Also, because I forgot to mention it before, I really like the picture of the stones on your last post. Very pretty.
    4. That's all I've got. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)