Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Testing...

My tests came back from January 22:

HbA1c is 5.7. Hooray!

And now for the bad news. Cholesterol is 236, LDL is 137, HDL is 46, and triglycerides are 207.
According to the little form sent by the clinic, desirable for total cholesterol is under 200, LDL shoud be under 100, HDL should over 35, and triglycerides should be under 150. So, three out of four are not in the ideal range.

Here's the note from Ms. Doc on the cholesterol numbers: "A bit too high. Can manage with diet and exercise."

HA! What does she think I've been doing since my diagnosis?

In my opinion, an ideal diabetic diet should be an ideal diet for managing all aspects of health, including circulatory health. In other words, if I were following the ideal diet for managing my diabetes, I believe that my cholesterol and lipid levels would show much better numbers.

And exercise? Again, HA! Why does she think she's been writing me prescriptions for percoset? Hello? Foot pain, here!

And still...

Despite all else, I am still largely responsible for my own health. I am responsible for what I put in my mouth. And I know that I can do better on my diet and exercise, even with all these things in my life.

I also got a call from Podiatrist #1 on the results of the bone scan ($841 retail for this test, BTW). Pod says that the tests are negative. In other words, the bone itself does not show signs of inflammation. Pod concludes that I am not a good candidate for surgery. The inflammation & pain must be coming from a nerve or tendon and I should keep up with the acupuncture, if I find it helpful.

Why, yes, I do find it helpful. And yes, I will be continuing with treatment.

I'm also going to go see Podiatrist #2 tomorrow. I will continue to pursue options.

I owe Allison a picture. I don't want to send it. The weight numbers are up.

Alas. Life goes on. I have to eat another meal and make good choices.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger If not a mother... said…

    Yay, great A1C!

    Cholesterol isn't too bad, not great, but not horrible.

    I can't remember if you already do or not, but soy milk has been a big help with cholesterol. I really truly believe it.

     
  • At 1:40 AM, Blogger Chrissie in Belgium said…

    I second your hooray for the 5.7! Ask your doc if you couldn't take a statin fopr the cholesterol. I have spoken about the statin Lipitor and cholesterol stuff in my blog too. My doc will not let me STOP taking these pills even though my cholesterol is good!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)