Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Thursday, January 25, 2007

It's been a week of maintenance

A standard appointment with my internal medicine doctor.

(I told her about the blog. I gave her the address. I felt very brave.)

I made my appointment for the yearly mammogram. And the follow-up ultrasound on Lefty, because of that lumpy area. Yes, the one that's been the same since my middle-twenties.

I got a pneumonia vaccine booster shot. Darn, that thing made my arm hurt for three days! I can see why they only have you take that every five years, to give you time to forget the pain.

I went to the dentist and got my cleaning. The hygienist, the best ever dental hygienist in my humble opinion, tells me that she recently went to a professional conference -- I thought how utterly boring I would find a conference on tooth cleaning -- where they announced that it would soon be part of the standard of care for persons with diabetes to have dental cleanings every three to four months, rather than every six. She's optimistic that this may lead to these extra cleanings being covered by our insurance. I pay out of pocket for my extra cleanings, but my mouth is much happier. And, so the health experts say, is my diabetes. Strange how these things work together, but, if letting Mindy inflict an hour of discomfort and mild pain on me every three to four months will help me stay healthier, I'm willing to do it.

The black leather uniform doesn't bother me much... But I'm not willing to call her Madame Mindy, no matter what the threats.

Also had another acupuncture treatment. Comparing the two, I think the acupuncture was more uncomfortable than the dental cleaning. And yet, my feet feel better for the rest of the week. How strange.

I'm still getting my percoset refill filled.

I'll post the numbers for my test results when I get them.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:24 AM, Blogger Chrissie in Belgium said…

    Gosh you have been busy!

     
  • At 2:44 AM, Blogger Allison said…

    I emailed my CDE, Gary Scheiner, a link to one of my blog posts that had talked about my latest management changes. I felt kind of bad, but he didn't care. He was like, as long as you tell me...

    It was odd.

     
  • At 4:52 AM, Blogger If not a mother... said…

    It would be great if insurance covered three exams a year rather than two. Even for some of us (shhh) who go a year between cleanings...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)