Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Thursday, March 29, 2007

I hate my acupuncturist.

Just had my weekly acupuncture treatment for my feet. I wonder, who ever thought this was a good idea?

Each week, I voluntarily lie down for this person to shove needles into me. Then, after the needles are inserted, and I have stopped yelling, he attaches the electrodes. This time, he was trying some new needles--Japanese, he says, highly polished.

This time, also, he was going to try two points of electrical stimulation, one above the point where we think the nerve is damaged, and one below. So, he attaches 4 leads on each foot. Think jumper cables, but doll-house sized. These clips are attached to the needles in my tiny little (sore and tender) foot muscles.

Then the torturer-ahem, licensed acupunturist turns the dial on the electro-gadget. Sooner or later, the current flows and the muscles between the needles starts jumping. Together, he and I try to settle on a good level for the current. Remember, he can see the numbers on the dial. He wants it to be as high as I can stand it, without my shrieks alarming anyone who might be waiting in the front office. At a good level it feels sort of like an annoying muscle tic. At a high level, it feels like its going to charlie-horse at any moment.

Then he wanders off to do paperwork, etc, and leaves me to relax for several minutes. Like 30 or so. (He does come check on me once or twice during the rest portion of the treatment.)

Today, he hit several nerves directly. Very painful. I noticed that I sound just like my mother when I am saying "ow-ow-ow-ow-ow!" Acupunturist asked, at one point, "Are you part cat?" I must have been yowling.

I said to him, with narrowed eyes, "It's a good thing I like you."

Sometimes the acupuncture spots become bruised, after treatment. Others have said that they've found acupuncture treatment very relaxing. Fine. I believe them. I just don't find it so. My treatment is painful.

But my foot pain is much less WITH acupuncture treatment than without. Even though the treatments are painful.

But I'm still very limited in my standing and walking ability. I wore the pedometer last week and only got 2800 steps. Before this foot pain attacked me last summer? I could easily get 7000 steps, without trying very hard.

I keep going back to the L.Ac. I know he's very caring and concerned about my case.

But sometimes I hate him. Especially when he first walks in to the treatment room and chuckles.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 7:41 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    That does not sound fun! What a love /hate thing going on there!

    Hoping that it helps in the long run and that you don't have to do it forever.

     
  • At 10:52 PM, Blogger TaoHexi said…

    every practitioner will have their own style and technique.

    if you live in a city like Los Angeles, you have more choices.


    best,
    JMT, L.Ac.
    QiHuangYiDao.com

     
  • At 8:01 AM, Blogger Lori Rode said…

    I am not doubting his competence. I'm expressing my experience of pain and emotions during treatment. I have said that the treatment is effective. And actually, Oregon has a great many acupuncturists, per capita, compared with other locales. I have many choices in acupunturists here. I'm just loathe to change, because I do know that he understands my problems and his treatment is effective.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)