Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Textbook of Pain


They put me in the wrong room for my latest appointment with the nurse practitioner at the pain center. I couldn't resist this photo. Do you see that book? Did youknow there was a Textbook of Pain?
Hopefully, all the medical team there have studied these books well and are applying them to me.
I do feel much better. My pain is at a manageable level.
My weight is up. 192 as of this morning.
My numbers are up. 165 fasting reading this morning. I see my Internal Medicine doctor on Friday. Will she suggest Lantus? Should I?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 5:24 AM, Blogger Jenny said…

    If you really want to be very old and very healthy, do whatever it takes to get your fasting bg down under 100 mg/dl!

    That might mean Lantus. Or it might mean cutting way back on carbs. Or both.

    But the post-meal blood sugars are even more closely tied to health. You really need to look at your 2 hour post-meal values and get them under 140 mg/dl to avoid neuropathy and retinopathy.

    Let your doctor know that you are motivated. I've noticed doctors tend to respond to the level of committment they see in patients. If they think you don't care, they figure you won't alter your diet so they don't even suggest it.

    But remember, "diet" for diabetes means carbs, since it is carbs and carbs alone that raise blood sugar!

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    I think that book sounds like it belongs in a dungeon, or torture chamber or something...

    Oh wait! You did say it was in a doctor's office... nevermind!

    :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)