Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Memorial Day

Another Memorial Day. . .

This Memorial Day, I remember in particular David Weisenburg. He was a son of our church family. You can see his photo here, and read the many things people have said to him and to his family and about him here.

My heart longs for peace, for no new wars, for no new widows, no new orphans, no mothers left to grieve over their children killed in conflict. No new despots.No new diagnoses of diabetes. That would be good war to end.Yet I must honor those who have died in service to their country, our country. Their sacrifice has been great. It is deserving of respect. I give it, with humility and gratitude.

It's been interesting to think about this Memorial Day in terms of becoming a mom. Many of these kids in the foster care system have the goal of serving in the military, something that I would not guide a child of mine towards. If my child chooses to serve, will I be able to respect that choice? I must, I think.

This next is probably more appropriate for veteran's day, but we just saw this fabulous movie about Desmond Doss, a WWII conscientious objector who was awarded the Medal of Honor. I was impressed with his principles, his faith, his bravery, his honor, and with the protection of God that seemed to be upon his service.

We'll be spending Memorial Day with my favorite veteran, Dr. Parts, Daughter A & her boyfriend, travelling to spend some time with Dr. Parts' brother, wife, and the World's cutest nieces. I'll try to refrain from taking pictures this time. Too much cuteness could ruin a blog, you know. I'll also try to make sure that we take enough diet pop for the day.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger George said…

    I would not worry about ruining your blog. I say, fill it up with as much cuteness as you want! :)

    It sounds like you are in for a great day. Enjoy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)