Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Death of a Beloved Betty

On July 1, my grandmother, pictured in an earlier post, fell and broke her hip. They performed surgery on her hip. Sometime after surgery, she experienced a heart attack. The damage was too great, and on July 3, she died.

I was privileged enough to be there. I loved her so much, and will continue to follow her example for all of my life, I think.

The story gets kinda odd from there, and I may not tell it all in today's post.

Orville, my grandfather, was married to Betty for just short of 68 years. My home is about 125 miles from theirs, and mine was the only number they could find to give to the hospital. They called me Tuesday morning, and I arrived at the hospital on Tuesday evening. The day after her death, Orville was experiencing shortness of breath, and we ended up in the emergency room. They told him he was experiencing "a little heart failure" and admitted him. He was in the hospital, the same hospital where Betty died, for two days. (I made great headway on some of my knitting projects.)

My mother, who had been in Mexico on vacation, was informed by my brave brother, who does not do well with death. She arrived on Thursday afternoon.

I am tired and a little flip and giddy. My hair is so greasy, I would almost say that I look like Professor Snape.

The good news is, that when Orville was in the hospital, they monitored his blood sugar, but did not administer any insulin. The highest reading they got was 154. They've instructed him NOT to take any insulin until he talks again with his doctors (that will be Tuesday), and told him not to worry about any reading up as high as 300 or higher. They said lows were much, much for dangerous for a person his age, and with his other conditions.

This morning, his reading was 94. That's right. No insulin, no oral meds for insulin, and my almost-90-year-old grandfather is testing in the normal glucose range.

I'll post more later, after I drive home. And after I shower.

10 Comments:

  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger George said…

    I am so sorry for your loss but it seems like you have been given a great gift from her example.

    I never know what words to say as I am like your brother and do not do well with death but I will say that I am thinking about you and your family and I pray that your family finds comfort.

    Take care,
    George

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger Chrissie in Belgium said…

    Lori, I am really sorry! About your grandfather - I am confused. Is he a T2 diabetic and now he no longer is taking insulin, or did he get some high bg readings just while he was in the hospital after the death of his wife. The latter would not surprise me. On the other hand if he was a T2 and the hospital was taking him off diabetic medications and saying 300 was OK - well that sounds completely WRONG! Which is it? Sorry for not understanding.

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger If not a mother... said…

    So sorry about your loss.

    Interesting about your grandfather, though. Very curious...

     
  • At 2:14 PM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said…

    Oh Lori, you have been through some very stressful days. I am sorry for your loss.

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger Zazzy said…

    I'm so sorry about your Grandma. It sounds like she must have been a very special lady.

    I hope your grandfather recovers easily and the blood sugars continue to behave themselves.

    Hugs to you.

     
  • At 10:26 PM, Blogger Lori Rode said…

    Chrissie, Grandpa is a T2 diabetic, but it IS a good thing, to have his range of acceptable numbers shifted upwards from those he had in mind. He was getting a reading of 127 and telling me that this was high. There's more to the story, but, allowing him to use either less or no insulin to manage his diabetes is one step closer to allowing him to continue to live independently, or with minimal support. Nana's tight control is NOT GOOD for him, with his particular heart condition (not related to artheriosclerosis or excessive cholesterol). The doc said, in hospital, high sugars will kill you, over decades, but low blood sugars may kill you, Orville, in minutes. So, for a 90-year-old man, he gets to relax, just a skosh.

     
  • At 8:47 AM, Blogger Chrissie in Belgium said…

    NOW I understand! I like understanding. Sometimes I wonder how I am going to survive when I get old....... I never trust doctors and if they start telling me to keep highish bg values, how stubborn will I be? I am really STUBBORN! I pity my future docs!

     
  • At 10:43 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Lori,

    I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. As G-Money said, she lived a life of good examples for you and others.

     
  • At 5:22 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said…

    I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

     
  • At 6:58 AM, Blogger Nicole P said…

    Lori -

    I'm so sorry about your loss. I'll keep you - and your family - in my thoughts.

    Nicole

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)