Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Hiding Out


I'm not dead. I'm not injured. I guess I'm just hiding out.

Since Nana's death, and her funeral, I've been very busy. We refinanced the house. My job responsibilities have changed, and they do not play to my strengths. I'm supposed to be part of the new dLife Blogabetes project, but I haven't written any entries for them. I feel very unsuccessful. I like the idea of taking part in the Blogabetes project, but they want they nice short focused entries. Blog Haiku, almost.

My blogging is usually too long, and all over the map.

Today's photos are of my grandfather's 90th birthday party "cake". We had this party last weekend. This is a carved watermelon, in place of a cake. Very nice. Mom remembers always having a watermelon on her dad's birthday, July 19, which might be the first watermelon the family would have had that summer.

The photo below is of my grandfather, Orville, with his grandson, my first cousin, Kyle. Now, Kyle greatly resembles Orville and his body movements are almost exactly the same. Which means that Kyle, if Kyle gets to be 90 years old, may greatly resemble Orville. Poor kid.

Also notable in this photo, in the back, dressed in black, is Naomi, Kyle's older sister. Let's hope if she gets to 90, she will not resemble Orville as much as does her brother.

And, speaking of brothers, my brother is in this photo, cleverly disguised as that blur next to Naomi.

My number have been up slightly. My weight remains stable, too high. I am frustrated at my ability or inability to control my eating and increase my exercise. My July 2007 HbA1c reading was 6.8, when it's normally under 6.0. Curses.

So, too much work, too much stress, not enough time. Same old, same old, in other words. Life is good. It's good to have a birthday. It's good to have a birthday party.

And it's good to have good family times.

We must keep on trying, every day, every meal, every bite.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger George said…

    Don't feel unsuccessful. I have only written a few posts so far and they will start flowing soon I am sure.

    I love the idea of a Birthday Watermelon. That is a very cute and healthy idea!

    Take care Lori. Glad to read your words again! :)

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger meanderings said…

    What a cool watermelon!

    Orville looks great at 90. Aren't you lucky to be able to spend time w/ him?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)