Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Monday, June 11, 2007

Socks: Diabetes and Knitting Combined

My two favorite things combined....in this article from Knitty. It's fabulous!

I found the article to be fairly well written, but I have two major quibbles. One: The writer did not go over the difference between Type 1 and Type 2. This seems to me a very important difference that needs to be gone over (and over) every time we have the chance. Because both diseases are called 'diabetes' and share significant symptoms, the confusion does neither group any good. Two: I hated the sentence saying that "diabetes can be a slow-death sentence." Aside from the punctuation (I think that hyphen has to go), I dislike its emphasis upon the negative. So, Diagnosis X can be a slow death sentence, so what? Many people with Diagnosis X live happy, significant lives for many years. Many people with Diagnosis X are beloved by their family, who enjoy every moment they can spend with them. Many people with Diagnosis X do not experience the troublesome side effects.

BTW, if you want LoriRode hand-knitted socks, they start at $300.00 per pair. If finer gauge, the price goes up. Hey, when the wool costs $30-50 dollars, just think what my time is worth.

Not to mention that you get my love in every stitch.

Really, though, hand-knitted wool socks-when the wool is good wool and the socks fit well-are an absolute joy.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 6:01 AM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said…

    Wow, Lori, that was a wonderful article. And, I think $300 is a very reasonable price. Nonknitters have no idea what goes into a project.
    The M/D curtain was a disaster. Plain an simple. I am too frustrated to write about it, but will email you with details later.
    I hadn't been to the Knitty website in awhile, and if was fun catching on on the new stuff.

     
  • At 2:05 PM, Blogger Munchkin said…

    Lori, thanks for writing a comment about the article in Knitty. My sister has recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and I'd like to knit a pair of socks for her. Do you agree with the reccomendations in the Knitty article in terms of the yarn or is there other yarns that are suitable? I've done a bit of research and have found a yarn called X-static that is used commercially, it contains silver which acts as a thermal element and anti-fungus. However, I've ordered a skein of Austerman Step to start with. I love your prices for your socks, someone not afraid to charge what they are worth!!!
    All the best,
    Tricia

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Munchkin said…

    Lori, thanks for writing a comment about the article in Knitty. My sister has recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and I'd like to knit a pair of socks for her. Do you agree with the reccomendations in the Knitty article in terms of the yarn or is there other yarns that are suitable? I've done a bit of research and have found a yarn called X-static that is used commercially, it contains silver which acts as a thermal element and anti-fungus. However, I've ordered a skein of Austerman Step to start with. I love your prices for your socks, someone not afraid to charge what they are worth!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)