Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Here's the story: Police use stun gun on woman experiencing diabetic crisis.

Here's a link to the story at KATU.

The person's name is Brandi Hess.

I do not know you, Brandi, but I send you good thoughts and support during this time.

I'd suggest that you find counseling or some sort of support system, as many people who experience something like this sometimes struggle with PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). And who needs that on top of diabetes?

Knowing that a person experiencing a diabetic crisis may be combative, as Brandi reportedly was, and may not respond rationally to instructions, this is basic knowlege about diabetes. They were called to the house to assist, due to her diabetic crisis. This action, at this point, seems to be very, very bad.

I hope they investigate and take appropriate action.

Portland has had problems with use of deadly force. Now, remember, I've lived in Portland since 1970, off and on. I've lived in Portland steady since 1988. There have been two deaths of mentally ill persons at the hands of Portland police (one was inside a hospital) during that time. There are been two african-american persons shot to death at traffic stops within the past five years (the time since I've lived in a more ethnically diverse area of the city). Since the two african-american deaths, supposedly, the police department has reviewed its rules on deadly force and its policies on citizen review of use of force incidents.

And now this.

Please pray for Brandi and her family and friends if you're a prayer (I am). Please do whatever you feel is right to stand with Brandi as she goes through this time.

As a former boss used to say, more will be revealed.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 8:11 PM, Blogger George said…

    I am a prayer too so I will join in on praying for poor Brandi.

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger Christine said…

    This is so sad. I think the room mate should learn how to use glucagon.

     
  • At 9:10 PM, Blogger Lori Rode said…

    To be fair, on the video, the roommate was using crutches. She may have been less able to deal with the situation than she might be otherwise, perhaps. There are often alternative explanations.

     
  • At 9:29 PM, Blogger If not a mother... said…

    That makes me really angry. that is all.

     
  • At 11:47 PM, Blogger cc said…

    jeez! i am an oregonian... lived in portland for about 2 years, and other parts of oregon for a total of about 8 years. but that was a while ago i guess. kind of...sucks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)