Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Friday, September 29, 2006

Invasion of the baked goods

We have been a very bad household of diabetics this past week.

Okay. I admit it. I started it. I bought the chocolate cake.

But he went to the bakery and bought the filled buns. Coconut filled buns. Cheesecake filled buns. And chocolate croissants. En francais, s'il vous plait, pain au chocolate. One for each of us.

Have I mentioned that I've been a little down this week? In mood, not in numbers. Numbers, I haven't been checking. That means my numbers have been just fine, right?

Yeah, yeah. I know better.

I let one of my meds run out, and went two days before the mail-order refill arrived. Sloppy. I'm likely to run out of glucophage and have to 'borrow' pills from Dr. Parts. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

I'm slipping on control - in many areas of my life - and it's time to stop the slide. If I find more baked goods in the kitchen, I may have to call Allison and ask her to come over and do an intervention for us. If she has time.

The new meds continue good for me. The foot pain is down to a dull roar. I must still curtail my steps and standing time. I must still wear the dorky supportive shoes all the time.

I must buy additional test strips and restart my daily testing habits.

I must find a way to build exercise into my life, without injuring my feet any further.

Dr. Parts and I re-negotiated the household budget and made a plan to shift some debts around, so I'm feeling less stress in that area. And we have a weekend off. Meaning, no plans for either of us to go into the office. No need to travel to support some relative's need. I can sleep in my own bed, and, if I'm lucky, sleep in a little.

This health thing, with or without diabetes, I know that it's a daily choice, and the long-term accumulation of many small choices. I haven't been making good choices this week.

But I can make better choices now. And this evening. And tomorrow. And the next day. And the day after that. And the day after that.....

1 Comments:

  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said…

    Sooooo tempting to think that we do not have choices, isn't it? For me it was the rasberry jam pudding cake that I bought for company - they enjoyed it, but I enjoyed it more (and more after they left). But, this evening there will be more chances to make better choices - and I'm going to do my best.
    Have a good week ahead!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)