Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Life continues

I'm still a diabetic. I'm still here. I'm still eating. I'm still testing.

I ran into my dad the other day. His 65th birthday is tomorrow. He (and his brother) have this obsession with dying, because their male relatives have died at relatively young ages. Dad's grandfather died at 69, and his father died at 67. He's not sure he's going to make it.

Of course, I gotta tell you that I ran into him with his Beloved in one of our favorite restaurants, on their way to a dance lesson. East Coast Swing, no less. They skipped dessert (so did we). Does this sound like a diabetic who's in danger of dying this week? I don't think so. And, he has a CPAP machine.

I'm betting he lives longer than Grandpa. Or Sam.

I mostly had to post today for this link to an article entitled "Tips on How to Be a Good Patient". Very nice. I hope I remember all these tips. I have two doctors appointments this week.

I finally got to watch dLife this weekend. As it started, Dr. Parts, exhausted after 7 days straight at work, walked through the room and wondered if I had found the all-diabetes all-the-time network. (He thinks I think I work for the diabetes police.) "No, sweetie. It's one half-hour show that airs once a week."

2 Comments:

  • At 7:09 PM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said…

    The article had some helpful reminders. I always have to tell myself that dr visits can be a "win-win" situation with a little patience and understanding from both sides of the fence.

    No, your dad does not sound like anybody on their way out.

    Wish him a Happy Birthday for me!

     
  • At 11:19 PM, Blogger Chrissie in Belgium said…

    Hi Lori,
    I got a great laugh out of site on how to be a good patient! A good patient on whose terms? In any case being a good patient is not going to make you popular with the docs. I know. Having had D for 45 years and in fact doing very well still , I think my health is due to my "terrible-terrier attitude" and luck. Don't forget the luck! I have done just about everything on that list. It doesn't make you popular. Fired and lectured doctors, walked out of hospitals, not only brought pencil and paper to the appointments but also sent emails in advance to appointments so the doctors will now the 20 points I want to discuss at the next meeting! The advice given in the site you mentioned was all correct but only in a dream world does it make you a "good patient"!world ,

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)