Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Thursday Notes

AM BG was 76 this morning. It's been in the 70s and low 80s this whole week. This is very low for me. I keep wondering if I should call the doc and ask her if its time to adjust the oral meds. I'm still on, IMHO, a lot of metformin, 1000 in am and 1000 at night, plus actos. She wasn't eager to discuss changing the diabetes meds last time we talked.

Of course, I was teary from foot pain and begging for a pain medication prescription, so I guess I wasn't eager to discuss it either.

The foot pain continues at a dull roar. I have taken to wearing Teva sandals in the shower for the padding. I try to take less than 20 steps per day in bare feet. It hurts.

My husband is silent, but seems stymied at my abandonment of the admittedly minimal housekeeping routine. I don't feel like I can stand and work in the kitchen for 30-60 minutes each night, plus do laundry and clean cat boxes, never mind vacuuming or dusting.

I haven't done anything this week to reconstruct some sort of exercise routine. I ought to be able to do a callanetics tape, some pilates or yoga tapes, or some strength-building calisthenics (sit-ups, curls, etc), without irritating my feet. We've located a convenient water aerobics program, but have not yet attended.

I haven't been sleeping very well this week. Perhaps that's why I feel edgy and irritable.

My morning readings have been nice and low, but, when I tested after lunch this week, I had a reading of 204. Higher than I'd like. I went home early yesterday from work, feeling like I was a little feverish, but it passed in a few hours.

Well, even with the best of plans, sometimes things go awry. Life is like this. And life goes on. I am still a very lucky and blessed woman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)