Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Monday, August 07, 2006

Why so many type 1 bloggers? Why so few type 2 bloggers?

I was wandering around the web, trying to build links in this fledgling blog, and I find there are many many type 1s who are blogging, from children & teens with type 1, to parents of type 1, to adult survivors with type 1.

And yet, there are only, from what I find, about five or so type 2 bloggers, blogging about adult-onset or NIDDM, or as I like to call it, pudgy diabetes.

Gosh sakes, where all all you folks? There are roughly 15-17 million of us in the USA. One would think of these 15 million, there would be more than five who blog. With the Canadians & British, it should be even higher. (Canadians make great blogs, btw.)

Is it shame? Are we ashamed to talk about this disease? Geeze, it's not like its an STD.

Are we ashamed to talk about the difference between what we should eat/how we should exercise and what we do eat/how we do exercise? Every area of life has an hypocrisy factor. It's hard to be a human without being a hypocrite.

Are we ashamed because we believe that getting pudgy diabetes is a self-inflicted disease? Do we think that people don't care, because we wouldn't be this sick had we not been couchpotatoes eating bon-bons and pork rinds by the caseload all our lives? (Do we think this about ourselves, or do others think this about us?)

Are the bloggers missing because we're all depressed and overly focused on self-management? I doubt that.

What is going on?

It could be strictly a generational thing, that a 15-year-old is far more likely to blog than is a 55-year-old. But why not? I find 55-year-olds to be interesting, articulate, wise people with great things to say.

So, I'm on a campaign to recruit more Type 2 Bloggers. We need to talk about this disease and about our experiences with it. Get off the discussion boards and blog! Blog now! Blog often!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger Kerri. said…

    Hi Lori. I came stumbling across your blog almost completely by accident. Glad to have found you, though! I agree - there are quite a few type 1 bloggers. I'm very happy that you've added your articulate voice to thte type 2 blogger crew. I'd be more than happy to add you to my blogroll, if you'd like.

    Welcome to the Blogosphere!

    -- Kerri.

     
  • At 8:23 PM, Blogger If not a mother... said…

    I love this recruitment post. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)