Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Friday, August 04, 2006

Current Issues

Summer 2006. My current HbA1c is 5.9. Not bad.

I'm on Metformin 1000 units (I forget whether it's milligrams or micrograms) both morning & evening for 2000 units per day total. Actos 15 units in the morning. Hyzaar for high blood pressure once a day. I was hoping that my MD would reduce or remove some of these meds at our July appointment, but no.

I've been dealing with foot pain, finally diagnosed earlier this year as sesamoiditis, off-and-on for about 3 years. Right now my foot pain is close to unbearable. I take Aleve/Naproxen Sodium at the maxium allowable levels as printed on the OTC label. I also have some stronger stuff for overnights, but I try not to use that every night. My little sesamoid bones, which should look like garden peas, look like crunchy gravel. Podiatrist guesses that they were broken in the past and have healed with these irregular edges that irritate the soft tissues around them. Podiatrist does not believe that my foot pain issues are caused by diabetic neuropathy. And I pray that he is right.

I also have periodontitis, a not uncommon issue in diabetics. I visit the dentist for cleanings four times per year, not just twice like the rest of you.

I've lost about 15 pounds this year. I'm currently at 170 lbs. My goal for 2006 is to get to 160 lbs. The weight charts for my height say that I should be at 125-155 lbs. But, for diabetics, any weight loss leads to better blood glucose control. And I've seen that.

How did I lose the weight? Mostly, I gave up greasy cheesy breakfast burritos. Funny, how skipping 2 cups worth of fried potatoes, bacon, sausage, eggs and cheese five to seven times per week can help the weight just drift away. I feel pretty good about my weight loss. But it hasn't made me look like a supermodel or like I was 25 rather than 41.

The foot issue is a big one in terms of exercise. I used to consider myself to be A Walker. I would happily park at the end of the parking lot and take a few extra steps. I used to do scottish highland dancing. I've walked the Portland Marathon. Twice. I used to regularly walk one to two miles across the Willamette River as part of my daily commute to downtown Portland. But now, I wonder if I have enough steps in me to enjoy the concert we're attending at the zoo this weekend. Some days, when I'm preparing dinner, I have to do some of the tasks from a seated position. That's a big change for me. I'm looking into water aerobics, as Dr. Parts, my dear husband, is willing to do that, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)