Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Friday, August 04, 2006

New Diabetes Blogger

Here's the basics. I'm a white 41 year old female diabetic, living in Portland Oregon. I've been a diabetic for about 8 years.

I do come from a diabetic clan. Three out of four grandparents are or were diabetics before their deaths. Only one aunt/uncle was not a diabetic at the time of her death (she was in her 40s and got lung cancer). Both of my parents are diabetics, although they each were the last of their sibling sets to get their diagnosis. My maternal grandmother is the one who has had her diagnosis the longest. I'll probably post about her at length in the future.

I was fully expecting to get my diagnosis as a diabetic sometime within my lifetime. I was not expecting to get it in my 30s. I even got my diagnosis before either of my parents got theirs. These diabetes gods, they're funny. So funny.

Standard protests: I wasn't as fat as others. Probably the most I ever weighed was around 200 lbs. I'm about five foot six inches tall. Only two years prior to my diagnosis, I had trained and walked a big northwest relay race and the Portland Marathon, so, in my own opinion, I wasn't that sedentary, either.

I realized that I needed to get my own diabetes blog because I keep ranting at Vegsource (I post at two boards there, the diabetes board and the McDougall board) and I keep ranting at my husband. It's not too good to rant in those particular settings. I'll probably post at length about eating choices and veganism/vegetarianism.

Please note: I do consider myself a relatively normal person, which means that for either the omnivore community or the veg*n community, I'm not nearly hard-line enough. I often attempt to eat like a vegan, but I often still consume animal products, including dead animal flesh. I would not be considered an animal rights activist by any definition that I've seen. Please don't hassle or flame me here. I will attempt to explain. I am aware of the hypocrisy and inconsistency issues. I have embraced them.

Each traveler's path is her own. And each of us is free to travel, more or less. Take what you want and leave the rest.

So, for today: AM fasting BG reading: 90
Eating plan: B: overnight soaked oatmeal, ricemilk, dried apricots & cinnamon,
2 12 oz cans of Pepsi One (so far)

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)