Very Old, Very Healthy Diabetic

...or die trying.
I was diagnosed in 1998 at the age of 33 with NIDDM or Type 2 diabetes. I come from a diabetic clan. I even married a diabetic. Are you on the diabetes road, too?
This is my goal: to become a very old, very healthy diabetic by day to day choices regarding eating, exercise and medical management. Walk along with me...

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Collection

I wanted to add a few notes and things

1. I went to the dentist's office on Wednesday for my dental cleaning. It's very important for a person with diabetes to keep up on oral health. I hope you do it. I have to go more often than I would like, 3-4 times per year, but I'm much happier, and my diabetes numbers behave better when my oral health is good. That means flossing, often, and using my sonicare toothbrush, twice a day.

2. My Nana would want to tell you that going on insulin to help control your Type 2 diabetes is not an indicator of failure. Using insulin does not mean that you're a bad diabetic. It means that insulin is the best way to keep you healthy at this time. Sometimes, diabetes follows a progression, in us Type 2s, and that often will include using insulin.

Even Dr. McDougall believes that, if you need medication to help control diabetes, insulin is probably the very best medication to do that. (He's not a big fan of oral hypoglycemic agents in type 2 diabetics, other than following his diet. He's got some very big reasons for his opinions and I respect him highly. I suspect he's right, or at least, he's more right than he is wrong.)

3. Speaking of Nana, I want to meet Becky who is a CDE in the Pierce County, Washington, area. At least, I think she's a CDE-I don't really know for sure. Becky has been my grandparents' diabetes consultant for many years now. I want to meet her and give her a hug, because she recommended and wrote a prescription for therapeutic massage for my Nana. (Nana & G'pa are selling their home, liquidating a lifetime of possessions, and moving into an assisted living facility. It's a little stressful.) I think Becky is way-cool. I wish more diabetes medical professionals wrote 'scripts for therapeutic massage. I hope she also sends Grandpa for the same treatment. In fact, if Becky could just call my physician, I've got the number right here...

4. Foot pain. It continues, but is down to background noise. I'm not going to be able to run and walk and dance like I used to. But I may be able to load and unload my own dishwasher without bracing myself or finding a stool to sit on. I still have doctor's appointments related to this.

More later....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

(***)